I’m a writer, director & producer with 18 years experience in TV and film production and development.
My films and screenplays have been nominated for awards at various international films festivals, Showcased at the prestigious Claremont-Ferrand Festival, and I’ve developed sitcom scripts with Channel 4 (who funded a non-TX pilot) and SO Television.
I produce film, TV and content through my label, Hello Deer – we are now supported by Silver Star Productions for unscripted TV, who incubate and co-produce with companies like Ross Kemp’s Freshwater Films, Paul O’Grady’s Olga TV, Chris Evan’s Zimple and Magnum Media.
I’m developing The Point through my production label, Hello Deer. I’ve just finished shooting a short film version of this called TWEAKS, with Simon Callow, Dan Skinner and Nicola Wren… more news on this soon…
I’m developing a number of other scripted and non-scripted TV and film projects through Hello Deer, working on unscripted TV content in collaboration with Silver Star Productions.
I have recently worked in a development/consultancy capacity with companies like BBC Studios, Channel 5, Associated Rediffusion, Mediente and BBC Radio 4/World Service.
I wrote, directed and produced a one week pilot run of a new online daily short topical comedy drama series called In Bed, for Associated Rediffusion, that was commissioned by a major global online newspaper – this is all under wraps at the moment… more news to follow…
I produced and directed a documentary on suicide (that featured Ruby Wax, ex-QPR footballer Clarke Carlisle, and Radio 4’s Laurie Taylor), with Associated Rediffusion and Anna Christian Productions that was commissioned by Yvette Greenway and Michael Mansfield QC for a charity they created called SOS: Silence of Suicide in memory of Michael’s daughter, Anna, who tragically killed herself in 2015. There’s more info on this film here.
I started out my working life in advertising with Initiative Media, in Chile – I then moved back to London, had a brief dalliance with a couple of dotcom start-ups during the crazy online boom & bust in the early ‘Noughties’, moved back into advertising for a short period with BMP TVi, and then decided I wanted to get into television production.
During my TV production career in London I worked across all major UK terrestrial channels in comedy and entertainment on shows like Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton’s Bigger Picture (both BBC ONE), T4, Rewriting History and Whatever (all C4), and with indies like At It, Tiger Aspect, Tinderbox (Avalon), Open Mike, Talkback Thames, Granada, SO TV, and Objective.
I then started to move into writing and directing.
My first sitcom, Gary Cranston – How I Roll, that I created and wrote, was piloted (non-TX taster) by Channel 4 in 2009/10 (produced by me with Boomerang, and directed by Ben Palmer, whose credits include The Inbetweeners TV series and movie).
This coincided with a move back to Brecon, Wales. I grew a non-ironic occasional beard, and have concentrated on writing and directing (for TV and film), whilst keeping my hand in with TV development.
- I made two micro-budget shorts in 2011, Rabbit and Beast, through Hello Deer, my production label.
- I also composed and performed the music and soundtrack for these films.
- Beast was shortlisted for the Anthony Minghella Award for Best UK Short at the Hull International Short Film Festival in 2011.
- It was also selected for the Manchester Film Festival (it was up for the Cobbetts UK Short Film Award), and the Bootleg Film Festival in Toronto in 2012.
- Rabbit was screened at the Carmarthen Bay Film Festival in April 2013, where it was nominated for Best Short Comedy.
- My screenplay, The Only Bookshop in Talgarth was selected for the final of the Short Comedy Screenplay Competition at the 2012 LA Comedy Shorts Film Festival (they flew me out to LA with a VIP festival pass).
- I developed a TV sitcom I created called Hermits in 2012/13 with SO Television.
Walk Or Fly
- I directed a short film for BBC Wales with It’s My Shout Productions in 2012 called Walk or Fly (I also composed and performed the soundtrack) – It was broadcast on BBC Two Wales in November 2012, and again on the BBC HD channel in January 2013.
- It was also screened ‘in competition’ at the prestigious Festival Européen du Court Métrage de Bordeaux (The European Short Film Festival of Bordeaux) in April 2013, and was featured in BRITAIN, a night of British short films put on by arts organisation Wiz-Art in Ukraine in May 2013.
- It was also screened in Berlin at the 6th KUKI International Children & Youth Short Film Festival between in Nov 2013.
- In June 2013 Tree Films acquired the theatrical rights for Walk or Fly in Russia, and it ended up being screened on Russian primetime TV in 2014, reaching over 3m people…
- It was licensed in 2016 by Interfilm Berlin for distribution in Germany and Japan, where it will be used to teach kids English.
- I’ve also written 3 other feature length screenplays, Goodbye Brecon, Berry, and Hermit. Together they form a loose trilogy of films, all set around Brecon, Powys, and feature similar themes, and even characters.
- Berry, was a semi-finalist in the screenplay competition at the LA Comedy Shorts Film Festival 2013, shortlisted from over 700 scripts.
- I also developed Hermit with Associated Redifussion in 2014/15.
- As a bit of a side project to the filmmaking and writing, I make and write music (I have written and performed all the music on the short films I’ve directed).
- In 2013 I released an EP called King Solomon under my musical alias, Jerro. The EP was positively reviewed by Drunken Werewolf magazine:
“Jerro puts the summery moments of The Shins to an Eef Barzelay soundtrack, before imitating the electro pop noodles of peer Sweet Baboo.”
- You can also listen to new tracks I’ve written for my forthcoming film, The Point, on my Soundcloud page.
- I created an online comedy sketch series, Peschanski & Jones, that was released on YouTube and Funny Or Die.
- I worked in factual development at the BBC as a freelance development producer between (Sep 2013 – Sep 2014), helping work up factual formats across all their channels, including The Wanted for BBC 1.
- I recently did some development consultancy with Channel 5.
- I have also worked as a ‘Visiting Director’ with the 2nd and 1st year drama students on their ‘Acting for Screen’ module at the RoyalWelshCollege Of Music & Drama.
My full CV is also available on request.
+ 44 (0) 7957 855 029